How Long is the Green Cheek Conure Lifespan?


Green cheek owners might be wondering about the green cheek conure lifespan. It's a scary thing to think about - old age and death in our conures, who are like our children, especially when we don't know how to find out their age were when we got them. 

There are a few common theories on how long green cheek conures' lifespan in captivity is, but most avian experts think their average lifespan is 10-25 years.

10 Year Lifespan

I have heard, through my internet searching, that 10 years is the minimum lifespan of a green cheek conure in captivity who has been treated with neglect. Yet another reason not to neglect your green cheek conure, as if there were enough already. Neglect isn't just hitting, though. Neglect can mean a poor diet of mainly seeds, with no fruits, veggies, and calcium supplements.

15 Year Lifespan

This medium lifespan seems the average age of conures in death. Captive conures, when treated moderately well and without neglect, will live to be an average of 15 years old.

25 Year Lifespan

This is the maximum lifespan reported to me by many green cheek conure owner friends. However, not many birds have lived this long in captivity, since widespread importation of green cheeks began only 20 years ago. 25 seems to be the maximum age, however, with immaculate care.

Male Versus Female Conure Lifespan

Male green cheek conures generally live longer than female conures. This makes sense, thinking about it. Female green cheek conures go through stronger hormonal changes. Going through hormonal changes takes a toll on a female green cheek conure's body, shortening her lifespan significantly.

Female green cheek conures risk becoming attached to their owners and laying eggs. Laying eggs appears natural - after all, green cheek conures naturally do it in the wild. However, egg laying takes a toll on bird health and lifespan. Egg laying depletes calcium and nutrients in female green cheeks. Egg laying females also risk egg binding, besides calcium and nutrient depletion, and death when laying eggs.

If you'd like to increase life and also keep your own green cheek egg-producing and healthy, tend not to allow her to start reproducing. In spite of this, female green cheeks live around 15-20 years, compared to a 20-25 year life-span for male green cheek conures.

Green Cheek Conure Life-time Varies By Mutation

All green cheek conure variations live the same amount of time. For example, a pinapple conure life-time isn't really longer as compared to a yellowed sided green cheek conure's life, or even a common green cheek mutation's existence expectancy.

Some owners report that the cinnamon green cheek conures live less time, due to a uncommon respiratory illness that has an affect on only cinnamon green cheeks. Otherwise, pineapple, yellowish sided, normal, and turquoise conures all reach the age of equal amount of years old within captivity.

Conures living to be 50+ years old

My own breeder informed me that green cheek conures reach the age of 50+ years aged with suitable care and attention and also diet regime. I guess he was merely full of it, notwithstanding, and also wanted me to buy a bird. If you want your green cheek conure to live longer, just give him ample space, varied diet of veggies, attention, and socialization, and he'll live to his maximum lifespan of 25 years old.

page: 1 | 2

14 comments:

  1. my Daughter had one it was barely a year old and it passed away this morning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry for your loss... :-(

      Delete
    2. Im so sorry for your loss

      Delete
  2. My green cheek is 27 this year. I hand raised her from a domestic bread chick when I bought her in 1986.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey....how do you know she is a female? Was she sex tested? Just asking, as our girl is 11yrs and the article above is scary. Thanks,

      Delete
  3. my green cheek is 23.5 years old. I've had him since 3 months old. He's beginning to show signs of aging, but we still give him lots of care and love to make it easier for him. They are the brightest and loving little birds if raised well...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just got my green cheek and he's doing fine. Barely going to be one year old.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We took on a green cheek this year and have no idea how old he is as his ring doesn't say. Its silver and a split ring. No one seems to know so if anyone has any idea please let me know thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. u can look up bird bands and the code and they can tell you where your bird came from. A vet can tell approximately how old your conure is and the sex =)
      From what you described...a silver split ring (I assume it isn't connected?) this means your conure was imported! Most likely wild caught.

      Delete
  6. My greenie is 16 and male. Was going strong until we moved to dry Los Angeles and my landlord started spraying extra pesticides out of spite. He's on antibiotics now and finally one gram shy of his usual weight after some junk food. He's so sweet I can give him an injection without him hating me or using a towel. Everyone at my vet loves conures. They must. They get a lot of my money.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just got my green cheek conure 12 days ago. It's 4 months old. Don't know the sex yet. We're still learning each other. It's a sweet little bird. A little nippy, but I'm trying to break it from that habbit. It's my first bird. Looking forward to learning more about it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My grandfather passed away and I got his Green Cheek Conure. He is 15 years old.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My green cheeck is about 32 years old and is very healthy! He was 25 when we adopted him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! hope mine reaches the 30s. what diet do you keep him on?

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...