Q: How To Stop Green Cheek Conure From Biting




A: So you've got a new/baby green cheek conure, and the inevitable has happened: your green cheek conure is biting you. First, relax, and know that green cheek conure biting is normal behavior for your bird. That doesn't stop green cheek bites from being annoying, however.

Green cheek conures are nibbly birds by nature. Green cheek babies bite to explore the world with their beaks (not really a true bite, but it can still be a painful nibble!) Green cheek conure biting happens when birds feel threatened, frightened, or maybe the bird is just in a bad mood. You can never full stop a green cheek conure from biting, it's in their nature. But here are some ways to stop green cheeks from biting you as much as your bird is biting you now:


Stop Green Cheeks From Biting By Making Friends

No, it's not a rant about animal rights, we promise! If your bird likes you more, it logically follows that this will keep them from biting. If you've just brought your green cheek conure home, remember to give your green cheek time to get used to their surroundings, and you. Once your bird warms up to it's human, this should stop a green cheek conure from biting so much.

Train Green Cheek Conures Not To Bite

Certainly, you got that right, along the lines of dogs birds can be without question trained to get rid of undesirable manners. In this case, you'll be able to train a green cheek conure to not ever nibble by positive (never ever negative) reinforcement. Choose a loudness or a word. As soon as your green cheek conure is biting you too hard, duplicate the phrase, and place them all back in their cage.

Parrots often link being put back within their own cage with abuse. Eventually, your own green cheek conure will associate your own loudness or perhaps word (for instance "gentle chew" or "no chomp" with the meaning of stop biting now, please. You'll be able to likewise make this happen along with their own favorite treat. Whenever your conure is no longer biting you, permit them to have their own favorite treat to encourage them for sitting on you quietly.

Small Earthquakes Stop Biting Conure Parrots

Earthquakes? What?! By earthquakes, of course, we mean the small movements of your arm. When a green cheek conure bites their owner, it takes concentration. If you notice your green cheek conure biting, or preparing to bite, move your arm a bit to stop biting in it's tracks.

Don't Let Your Green Cheek Conure On Your Shoulder

Birds associate being up high with dominating another bird, or in this case, you. If you let your green cheek conure climb on your shoulder or head, you encourage this dominating behavior. You also encourage your green cheek conure biting your ear - ouch!

Wing Clipping As A Method To Stop Green Cheek Conures From Biting

When you clip a bird's wings, you take them down about ten pegs in terms of aggressiveness. We're not exactly encouraging wing clipping of your bird, just saying that wing clipping of a young bird may give you many months to work on the aggressiveness issue. When a bird's wings are clipped they come to need you for their movement, and may come to trust you more. It exists as an option, though a controversial one, to stop a green cheek conure from biting.

Make The Biting Conure Parrot Environment A Safer One

Many reasons that birds bite come from fear, or feeling threatened. When a conure parrot can't fly away (it's first choice of defense from danger) it will use the last resort that it has: biting their human owner. Birds are prey animals, and need to feel protected from harm such as new situations, aggressive pets, and even young children. Move your bird to a safer environment, such as a quieter room, if your green cheek conure is biting. Remember, once your bird feels safe and settled, it will trust you more, and will stop biting hard (if not stop biting altogether.)

Provide your green cheek conure a happy home (and lots of discipline) and your bird will come to respect you by not biting. Green cheek conure biting can never be fully avoided, but with these tips, you can stop green cheek bites from happening more often than you'd ideally like.

 page: 1 | 2

14 comments:

  1. This is very helpful I recommend this to anybody who has a problem like this
    It's like talking to an expert

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had my conure for 2 years, it is the only one I have, today it layed an egg will it hatch?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, unfortunately, the egg is unfertilized, meaning it won't hatch. Don't take the egg away from her though - taking away the egg will just make her lay more. Wait until she abandons the egg and then remove it.

      If you want GCC babies, you'll have to get her a DNA sexed male. Thanks for the question!

      Delete
  3. I have a 13 week old gc conure we got yesterday and I have been trying to interact with him in a calm environment and he is really biting. Should I leave him alone for a couple days till he gets use to his environment or still try to take him out of his cage. He has bitten me a few times and broke skin twice and I say the no bite command the breeder gave me and put him back in his cage. It makes me hesitant to touch him cause he bites so hard I bleed. Can I try gloves or something?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd say leave him alone for the time being, with his cage door open, so he can explore his new environment on his own terms. Don't use gloves - it will scare him even worse. Just leave the cage open, and let him come out, or leave it closed and just sit near him, making soothing noises (so he can see you're not scary.) Giving him treats might help too.

      Delete
  4. Hi, I have a 2.5 year old green cheek. We've had a particularly busy previous 6 months with a move of house and a new baby, so our poor bird hasn't been getting the attention he needs. His biting has gotten terrible (he's always been a biter but this is terrible) and because he bites I'm scared of interacting with him. The loneliness screeching is also driving me mad, but as I said I'm scared of him. Is there any hope??? My husband and I really do love the bird but are at our wits ends on how to make the situation better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i just got my green cheek conure hes 5 months old he seems very friendly and lets me take him out of his cage willingly...the only problem is as soon as i get him out he starts biting me. he doesnt seem to be aggressive but it still hurts and is very unpleasant. what should i do to make him stop??

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a pinnapple conure about a week now. When i was buying him he was very happy and didnt bite me once just nibbled a little bit but when i got him home he just lost it.i would have him on my hand he will happily step up but when he is on my hand all he wants to do is bite he is only 15 weeks old.i really need help

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a green cheek conure for few months but he still bites and is quite painful. He also Do not like to be on my hand except for shoulder. He is already 8 months old. Please help

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If he wants to be on your shoulder rather than your hand, then you have a problem. Your bird thinks he is the leader of the flock. Teach him otherwise!

      Delete
  8. I have a 2 month old GCC, I just got him a few days ago. He's very loving but I'm having a problem with getting him to come to me he runs and hides so it makes it hard to train him, any ideas? I've tried food veggies but he won't come out till I leave.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a 6 month I just bought him 2 dayz ago he already flies from his perch to our bed. From everything I have read about biting, and screaming. He wont bite hard but loves my nails they are sparkly for the 4th, and he doesnt screem, btw I have raised batches of cockitel my birds have all rode my shoulder I dont under stand why this would hurt the bird. Is this how a normal gc acts as if he's been forever

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a green cheek conure baby he bites sometimes I get home to fly to perch from my shoulder and I take my T shirt off so he can't grip and he goes poo on perch now and he seems more chilled out at night time don't seem to bite I use a target stick and click he goes to perch when tell him

    ReplyDelete
  11. We got our 3 month old, hand-raised GCC about 1 week
    ago. Like a previous poster stated, he was extremely calm in the store, ate out of our hand, & seemed to warm up to us right away as soon as we got him home. He will fly over to us as soon as we sit down, or walk towards us if he is on the floor.....in other words, he loves our company. BUT...about 3 days after bringing him home, he began his biting routine. As soon as he climbs on our finger, arm, or wherever, he will bite. It's most definitely not aggressive behavior-he loves hanging with us, & lets us pet him-he just seems to be "going about his business", which, unfortunately, is biting everything, or everyone he comes in contact with-he will literally put small holes in our shirts! He hasn't broken the skin as yet, but we think it's probably because we pull away before he gets the chance (he's come pretty close, though!). We are in the process of trying the loud, verbal "No Bite" command, and putting him back in his cage if he doesn't stop. Since we just started these methods, we are in high hopes of them working, because if they don't, we won't know what else to do, & really love the fact that he wants to be around us all the time. He also gets along well with our 5 month old White-Face Cockatiel, so we believe he is a gentle bird, never acting aggressively at all. If we have any improvement, or lack there of, I will re-post ;~)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...